Skip to main content

Self Care

 Self Care


How do you take care of yourself? 

If you asked me this a year ago, I probably would have said "shower". I didn't exactly know what self care meant to me, and now it's one of the most necessary parts of my daily routine. 

My definition of self care:

The practice of doing anything that makes me feel more like myself





I separated this article into two sections, mental and physical ways you can practice self care!


PHYSICAL


I. EXERCISE

When I am having a stressful day, I like to clear my head with yoga. Yoga is my favorite form of exercise. Going for a run, stretching, going to the gym, or even just going on a walk can boost feel-good hormones scientifically proven to make you feel good!





II. DIET

Diet is everything. It's not just what you eat, it's everything you consume. You might be eating healthy and eating the right amounts of foods, but are you taking vitamins? Supplements can make you feel 100% better even if you are eating correctly. I take Iron, Vitamin C and I take Prenatals. I also drink collagen, which is super good for your skin especially if you have dry skin like me. Along with diet, you have to be drinking enough water! Staying hydrated affects me in every aspect of my life. I notice a huge difference in the way that I think and feel when I am drinking enough water. Water improves organ function, brain activity, joint health, skin health, and literally everything between. 





III. SKINCARE

Skincare is so therapeutic to me. I used to have a really in depth skin care routine and my skin actually did worse. It was more dry than usual, and I was getting rough bumps on my face. So here's what my routine has turned into: micellar water to cleanse and remove makeup, retinol to tighten skin, moisturizer (LOTS), and rose water spray. I like using an ice roller in the morning to get rid of puffiness. Everyone's skin is different but I always recommend finding a routine that works for you and sticking with it!





IV. BATHS

Something that always makes me feel good is baths! I rarely have the time to take them but when I do, it's always candlelit and quiet. I don't usually put anything in my baths, but I see a lot of people put salts, dried flowers, bath bombs, oils, etc. Make it as fancy as you want! You can bring water, a book, Netflix, anything!





MENTAL


I. JOURNALING

I am a person that loves to have things planned. I am not the best at freewriting in a journal, but I can answer prompts and I love guided journals. I am huge on planners and writing things down makes a huge difference if you want to start new habits or remember things. Journaling can be a super helpful outlet for "mind clutter". I find myself overthinking and thinking about things that don't matter when there are other things I need to be focusing on. Writing down all the important things helps get the mind clutter out of the way! If you're anything like me, I like things to be organized and pretty. Bullet journaling is so creative and is easily my favorite way to write. 





II. MEDITATION

How long can you just sit and do nothing? It is way harder than it sounds. I am a pretty busy person and sitting still without constantly thinking about what I could be doing is almost impossible for me. Once I started really sitting with the purpose of doing nothing and framing it in my mind as something that does need done, it all changed. I can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour just sitting and letting thoughts come to me rather than letting them come from me. It is really good for people with anxiety and people that seem to never get a quiet moment in their lives!





III. CLEANING

Not everyone will like this one, but cleaning is so therapeutic. If I am feeling bad, I will take one room in my house and just clean from top to bottom for a few hours. There is nothing that comes close to the feeling of a brand new clean room. I do have OCD, but I don't know anyone who enjoys living in a dirty space. Having your things organized can reduce stress, improve efficiency, and clear some of that mind clutter!





IV. READING

Reading is another thing that is hard for me to just sit down and do. Every other page that I read, I can't stop thinking about what else I can do with my time to make myself more productive. Reading can be a really good escape from a stressful day. It is also super useful for learning something new every day! I like more non fiction books, like books about business, self motivation, and life. If you have a hard time sitting and reading there's always audiobooks!





Thank you for reading and don't forget to take care yourself today and every day!! I hope you found some of these suggestions useful.


- Lauren 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Year Must Haves

First Year Must Haves and Things You Don't Need I watched so many videos and read so many books on the things you will NEED for your baby's first year of life, and I made a list of things that I think are super helpful, and things that are a complete waste of money. MUST HAVE Sleep Sack I got our first sleep sack as a gift, and we used it every single night until Elodie was about seven months old. Newborns have a hard time controlling their limbs and have involuntary spasms that can wake them up at night, and the sleep sack holds their arms down so that they can sleep better. It's also a super easy way to swaddle, which is comforting to infants, and keeps them warm at night when they are too young to sleep with a blanket!  HALO® SleepSack® | Wearable Blankets for Babies (halosleep.com) MUST HAVE Baby Popsicle Molds Between teething and just wanting a snack, these have saved our lives. I just mix coconut water and baby food and pour into these molds and their ready in an hou