Skip to main content

5 Things I Have Learned From Being A Young Mom

 

5 Things I Have Learned From Being A Young Mom

Lauren Booth




There is so much you have to figure out all at once when having a baby, and there is even more when you are still trying to figure yourself out. I got pregnant at eighteen years old, and these are the some of the things I learned in the first nine months of parenting. 


1. People may not understand

Whether it's people you know, people that you don't know, or even your family, there will be people who do not understand why you make the decisions you do even if you know they are right for you.  You have your friends, who are just starting their adulthood too. This usually involves a lot of hanging out, and going to parties and trying new things. I had a lot of fun doing all of those things. I also knew that I was in a stable relationship and opted to put more of my energy into being a good partner and taking care of our home. I spent less and less time with my friends the further I got into my pregnancy. It was just nature and some people did not agree with my decisions. There were also people who knew of me, but we never knew each other who assumed my pregnancy was fake and well, enough said about them. People will not always support you even when you are going through the biggest decision of your life, and all you can do is remember that you are doing what makes you happy and there is nothing anyone can do to take that away from you. 


2. The importance of self care

I get moments throughout the day where I feel like I just need a minute. Just one. When you have a home and a baby and two part times, life can pile on top of you pretty fast. I also suffer with anxiety, and don't get a choice to be not okay. If I'm not doing okay, how will I ever take care of anyone else? I have learned what self care really is, and it is the little things. If you want to order that expensive food, do it. If you want to take an hour long shower, (if you get the chance), do it. If you want to wear makeup and do your hair and look cute just to do chores around the house because it makes you feel good, do it. Drink your water, take your vitamins, and decide what's really worth caring about. I also deal with crippling hypochondriasis and OCD. I cannot relax if the bed is not made, I cannot move on if the laundry isn't done, and if one heartbeat sounds off, I send myself into full panic mode. I have learned to keep myself sane by cleaning my home consistently, but not all the time. Learned to distract myself from the awkward breaths I take when I lift things and work out. For me, it's all mindset. 


3. Patience

I have never been a patient person and I can never see myself being one. As soon as I want something I need it or I feel incomplete. It's bad. I have learned to be more than patient with my daughter. How can you not be? She got thrown into this world with no idea how anything works, what gravity is or even what she is, and I have had the most patience with her growth. She has always been healthy and everything has gone according to plan, but sometimes I wish I could jump to the part where she can talk and walk and ask me things. I have learned to enjoy every second that I get with her at every stage of her life, even when dealing with her blowing out her diaper. 


4. Priority

I have been good at shoving important things aside, because the other things sounded more fun. I don't really have that choice anymore, and being a mom has really forced me into doing what needs to be done even if it means that I am missing out on fun things. Yes, sometimes I would rather sit down with some friends and play card games than clean the dishes and the laundry. Shocking. 


5. Happiness

If there is anything that being a mom has truly taught me, it is what happiness really is. I have learned so much about myself and about life in the last year. Being needed, and feeling necessary to the sweetest little girl is the most fulfilling feeling that exists.  I believe happiness is feeling like you are living your purpose and knowing you are doing it well with integrity and trust. 


Of all the things I am most proud of, being a mother is number one and always will be.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Year Must Haves

First Year Must Haves and Things You Don't Need I watched so many videos and read so many books on the things you will NEED for your baby's first year of life, and I made a list of things that I think are super helpful, and things that are a complete waste of money. MUST HAVE Sleep Sack I got our first sleep sack as a gift, and we used it every single night until Elodie was about seven months old. Newborns have a hard time controlling their limbs and have involuntary spasms that can wake them up at night, and the sleep sack holds their arms down so that they can sleep better. It's also a super easy way to swaddle, which is comforting to infants, and keeps them warm at night when they are too young to sleep with a blanket!  HALO® SleepSack® | Wearable Blankets for Babies (halosleep.com) MUST HAVE Baby Popsicle Molds Between teething and just wanting a snack, these have saved our lives. I just mix coconut water and baby food and pour into these molds and their ready in an hou

The Truth About Being a Mother

                                                           The Truth about Being a Mother      I didn't know what to expect when going into a pregnancy. I knew that there would be good times and I knew that there would be bad times, I just didn't know what exactly that meant. Parenthood, childhood, adulthood, it's all different for everyone. If there's one thing I wish I knew better before having a baby, it's myself. I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression at sixteen years old. I took medication for less than a week before I just decided I didn't need it anymore. I was feeling better after I had gone to therapy and talked to people about how I felt. I hadn't felt an ounce of anxiety since. My pregnancy went very smoothly, with almost no complications or concerns. I was happy, healthy and so was my family and baby.  The very night I brought my daughter home, I recognized every single danger that existed in my house. It wasn't just that the knives were

Self Care

 Self Care How do you take care of yourself?  If you asked me this a year ago, I probably would have said "shower". I didn't exactly know what self care meant to me, and now it's one of the most necessary parts of my daily routine.  My definition of self care: The practice of doing anything that makes me feel more like myself I separated this article into two sections, mental and physical ways you can practice self care! PHYSICAL I. EXERCISE When I am having a stressful day, I like to clear my head with yoga. Yoga is my favorite form of exercise. Going for a run, stretching, going to the gym, or even just going on a walk can boost feel-good hormones scientifically proven to make you feel good! II. DIET Diet is everything. It's not just what you eat, it's everything you consume. You might be eating healthy and eating the right amounts of foods, but are you taking vitamins? Supplements can make you feel 100% better even if you are eating correctly. I take Iron,